Want to structure a hangout spot that intensifies solace? The sinking sun, the verdant sod, the impatiens swaying to the glory of the wind, and the birds humming and chugging a too-wee-tao-woo! Well, all this and lots more is what you miss when you have not made any arrangements of a window seat in your house. However, with a busy schedule and mundane household chores, we don't find the time to seat ourselves beside nature and admire its beauty in simplicity. Nevertheless, it is not wrong to transform your lifestyle a bit, and arrange a space with window seat cushions for yourself. A space you would cherish for a lifetime. So, let this article serve you with a helping hand to construct a space you could justify as 'my own'!
Why Window Seats?
The Victorian era had bay windows that restricted an inconvenient protrusion and did not succumb the dweller to feel cramped and stuffy. It created a retreat of sorts, a personalized space. You also could choose to disconnect your chords from that of the world and construct a cocoon that spells 'you'. A sequel, a tribute to the Victorian reverence. You could make custom seat cushions and creatively slide a curtain where your retreat lies. Sans a comforting ottoman, the window seat appears bare. They are nooks that allow us to sit and knit, sit and read, sit, and well ... do nothing! You could also install soft and fluffy backrests and enhance the comfort quotient.
Fabric to Use
The market is deluged with options aplenty on the fabric front. However, not any fabric you gouge out of a fabric heap may be deemed ideal for window seat cushions. Durability, affordability and the palpable textural quality of the fabric are variables you ought to consider before you checkmate a material for your project. Select a material that is resilient and does not wear off easily. Besides, pay attention to the texture; it should ideally be rough and tough. By being so, the cushion seat will stay put. Since it is a window seat cushion, the fabric must have a higher degree of heat resistance. Overexposure to sunlight may push the material toward senescence way before its due. Thus, a heavy cotton material, rayon, or leather is ideal to upholster your cushion. Know that fabric of this ilk is durable and color fast. Bottom line: the longevity you derive is stupendous.
Consider your lifestyle, as well, when you decide on a fabric. It can sincerely be a trying experience to maintain window seat cushions if your house remains abounded with vagrant kids ready to sidle through every crevice of the house ... and then, throw in a scuttling pet or two. Viola! You get what is called a "good doze of headless kerfuffle." For households that picture this set-up to a T, a dark-colored fabric with a wipe-clean mechanism is apt. Fabrics that conduct moisture are good at locking stains. Better not tread the path of choosing the wrong fabric, especially when you are priggishly punctilious!
Making Window Seat Cushions
You could take old mattresses or cushions and make productive use of them. You could pluck out foam chunks from old mattresses and install it on the window seat. The steps are explicated here, serving to be your quick guide.
- The first step is to measure the length and width of the window seat. Seat cushions made to measure the window seat in length and width is a predominant as well as a primary step to make a window seat cushion. According to the measurements taken by you, buy foam cushions or utilize the ones that have become old, to cater to a sofa.
- You could also resort to compile three or four layers of foam pads to make your retreat.
- If you have bought the foam cushion from the market, you need to cut the foam in accordance to the window seat measurement.
- You need to be good with the cutting activity. Cut the foam in such a manner that the foam cushion made is approximately an inch and a half smaller than the window seat.
- With cushion covers that suit your taste and selection palette, make your foam seat cushions wear them. You could either buy a few or make cushions by referring to some designs.
- You could take inspiration from the sofa cushion covers and make a pillow case using old T-shirts, making a pastiche of sorts.
- To adorn your window seat all the more, you could sew a T-shirt quilt pattern to lend a look of ulterior sophistication to the window seat.
- Bay window seat cushions could be made without following any sewing procedures. Place a piece of fabric and a wide fusible strip around the edges of the cover being made.
- Pins are now required. Use pins to let the cushion cover stay in place. Place the next piece of fabric and pin it to attain the right position. Now carefully iron the edges of the fabric that have the webbing or the fusible strips in between. Now turn the fabric cover in the right manner and place the correct side up, and place the cushion or the foam chunk into the cover. With pins in place and the webbing being perfect, the window cushion is ready to snug you in.
Maintaining the Cushions
A window seat could be a valuable addition to the house, provided it gets its due share of attention (read: maintenance). Handle the fabric roughly if you may, but keep from abusing it. It won't serve your quarter for long. It may not demand your attention all the time, but parting with some, at times, won't hurt either. If you have cushion covers that come off without much toil, you may soak them prior to washing. Prefer soaking to scrubbing. Now, if you have chosen a not-so-heavy-duty material for your window seat, you may have to tax a wee harder than usual. If the material is stained, you could soak the material for sometime, and rinse thereafter. Where fabric is concerned, swear by the washing instructions prescribed.
Besides this, if the covers are not destined to come off the ottoman, use an upholstery stain-sucking cleaner. Exercise caution while cleaning the fabric; the cushion mustn't get too wet. The sun would help the cushion dry completely. A traditional vacuum cleaner may work well to prim the cushion. Protect your cushion by creping it with a firm plastic cover to avert deep-seated stains. This would serve to be a shelter-cum-preserve arrangement for the cushion to stay plum, most of the time.
Tending to the Slippage
A window seat dresses your drawing room exceptionally well. But you see, even if you let the fabric be classy, the mis-en-scene class apart, and the lighting dolce, the pulp of the picture lies in the state of the cushion. A convoluted cushion, bias on the corners of the fabric may foul play your decor -- definitely not an embarrassment of riches! To stay away from such moments, design your cushions in accordance with the window seat. A quintessential rectangular arrangement may not require toil, but certainly not in equal measure, if your window seat is customized. Rounded arrangements require custom-made cushions for a good fit. If the fill appears footloose, your window seat may well loose its charm! Ensure that the cut of the seat is compatible with the cut of your cushion. This, perhaps, is one essential step to avert the tendency of slipping. Constructing a frame for the seating arrangement would profile the window seat. It forms a vessel that contains the cushion. This will keep the cushion in place and prevent slippage. Attach the wooden sill to the window seat to have the frame ready. Position the cushion well, while securing the alignment. However, do not construct the frame in a way that it makes the seating arrangement discomfiting. The frame should support and not obstruct the cushion; i.e., while providing support, the frame must also leave room for the pouf to be visible from a distance.
A double-sided adhesive tape would also get your cushions seated in place. A strengthening tape may be stitched on to the cushion and bonded to the frame of the seat or the other way around. Some pressure right after the tape is affixed, should be applied to the cushion to press it down firmly.
So, what are you waiting for? Well, I don't know what you are still longing for, but nature is craving to make you a part of its panoramic display. Forge ahead, cushion up, and frame yourself in the lap of nature, by making some lovely window seat cushions!