With wide variety of commercially produced shaving soaps, your skin is also exposed to variety of unknown chemicals present in them. Some people may be allergic to certain chemicals and may develop skin problems. Thus, it is always wise to rely on shaving soap with known ingredients. You always have scope to experiment with ingredients of your choice. Moreover, making one at home is quite economical as compared to purchasing a ready-made product. By using these recipes, your skin becomes smoother, healthier, and softer.
Recipe #1: With Olive Oil
Recipe #1: With Olive Oil
- Olive oil, 12 oz.
- Coconut oil, 12 oz.
- Distilled water, 14 oz.
- Palm oil, 12 oz.
- Bentonite clay, 1 tbsp.
- Lye, 5.4 oz.
- Safety glasses
- Stick blender
- Use a double boiler or a microwave and heat the mixture of olive oil, coconut oil and palm oil. Boil the mixture to reach the temperature of 115°F
- The next step is to add lye very slowly into the distilled water. If you add it quickly, you will have a volcano effect, which is dangerous. You can use unbreakable glass and mix them with help of some stainless steel spoon. On mixing, the temperature of this mixture will rise to 180°F. So, cool the mixture to 115°F.
- Then, use the stick blender and mix them properly. You will get to see some traces of the soap after few minutes. Soap traces are formed when soap trailing is formed on drizzling of the mixture over the surface.
- Add clay after 5 minutes of blending. Once you are sure that the soap has traced completely pour the mixture into the soap molds.
- Witch hazel, ½ tbsp.
- Vitamin E capsules, 3
- Glycerin, ½ tbsp.
- Peppermint fragrance oil, 10 drops
- Cinnamon fragrance oil, 10 drops
- Orange coloring liquid, 2-3 drops
- Coconut soap base, 5 oz.
- Measuring cup
- Metal spoon
- Standard round bar soap making molds - 2
- The first step of preparing this glycerin shaving soap is to cut the soap base into small pieces and then melting them. Put these pieces into a measuring cup and melt them for 45 minutes on high heat.
- The melting of the soap base will depend on the type of microwave and the amount of soap you have used.
- After 45 minutes, remove the melting soap base, stir it and again keep it in microwave until it melts completely.
- Then cut the Vitamin E capsules, open, and squeeze the liquid into a small bowl.
- In another bowl, prepare a mixture of glycerin, witch hazel, peppermint fragrance oil, cinnamon fragrance oil, orange coloring liquid and Vitamin E. Mix them together properly and add them to the melting soap base.
- Once the mixture blends properly, pour the soup into round molds and let them cool and harden.
- To make the removal of the soap from the molds easier, place the soap mold into freezer.