We are human beings and we have emotions, aspirations and dreams. Without these qualities, we would have been robots or we would have been like aliens on our own planet. Our dreams and desires give rise to different types of hobbies and hobbies give sense to our existence. Can you imagine a life without hobbies? How boring it would have been! Hobbies may vary from person to person, depending upon his/her age, sex, native place, family background, education, personality, social and economical status, etc., but they make life worth living.
Popular hobbies for women and men are almost the same, but we all know that women are more interested in latest fashion, attractive cosmetics, mysterious astrology, healing yoga, entertaining magic, innovative cooking, fad diets, natural remedies, knitting, stitching, modeling, dancing, child care, jewels, etc.
These days, people are more interested in sports and recreation. The thrill in riding motorbikes, horror in movies, challenge in traveling, driving, flying, mountaineering, pleasure and preciseness in photography, fishing, playing cards, games, etc. help them forget their worries. Some of the popular hobbies are listed below.
- Scrapbook making
- Fixing jigsaw puzzles
- Playing various types of board games
- Drawing and coloring
- Model building with clay or with games like Lego and Mechanix
- Listening to music
- Playing musical instruments like piano, guitar, drums, mouth organ, etc.
- Dancing, singing, learning different dance styles
- Dog walking/training
- Playing scrabble
- Aircraft modeling
- Collecting stamps, coins, badges, postcards, pens, dolls, idols, autographs, etc.
- Playing magical tricks with cards or other things
- Taking up different sports like horse riding, basketball, golf, gymnastics, volleyball, ice skating, skateboarding, etc.
- Bodybuilding, following fitness programs, jogging, swimming, etc.
For Young Adults
- Internet surfing, chatting
- Jewelry designing
- Watching movies
- Car washing/servicing
- Acting, anchoring shows, cheer leading, etc.
- Traveling and exploring exotic destinations
- Playing computer games, video games, soccer, badminton, tennis, etc.
- Singing, listening to music
- Extreme sports like bungee jumping, hang gliding, parachuting, windsurfing, hot air ballooning, scuba diving, etc.
- Star watching or bird watching (it requires lots of patience)
- Exercising, fitness training
- River rafting, camping, fishing, canoeing, car racing, rifle shooting, etc.
- Event management
- Arranging/throwing parties
- Helping the ill, disabled, blind people or the elderly
- Collecting antique cars, sports cars, bikes, or exclusive show-pieces/artifacts
- Knitting, embroidery, quilting
- Gardening, landscaping
- Learning foreign languages
- Glass painting, oil painting
- Making decorative glass items, ceramic pots, murals, earthen pots, etc.
- Learning the art of bonsai
- Learning Ikebana, the art of flower arrangement
- Playing cards
- Fishing, camping, trekking
- Driving, riding bikes
- Trip Planning
- Playing video games
For Senior Citizens
- Reading local and world news
- Exploring sixth sense capacities through different methods like planchets, hypnosis, reiki, etc.
- Helping the needy
- Arranging charity shows, medical camps, exhibitions, awareness campaigns
- Following various types of relaxation techniques like yoga, meditation, sauna bath, etc.
- Solving sudoku puzzles, crossword puzzles
- Playing scrabble, carom, chess, card games like bridge and poker
- Watching movies, dramas, operas, etc.
The list of hobbies does not end here. Any man or woman can make a hobby out of the most insignificant thing, with a little imagination. There exist hundreds of hobbies, the main point is that hobbies make your life beautiful. Hobbies help keep a balance between busy moments and free time. In this modern world, kids, adults and the elderly are expected to follow a fixed daily routine which can make life mundane. Pursuing a hobby can keep them happy forever.