Polymer clay is made from PVC (polyvinyl chloride) and can be kneaded into various shapes and sizes. It can be painted using an array of colors, and is an ideal medium for making jewelry for hobbyists and beginners.
The first step is to select the color of your jewelry, and get it from an arts and crafts store. Sometimes, if you are not able to find the perfect color, you can just blend two or more colors to form the color of your choice. Acrylic paints can be used to decorate the jewelry after baking.
Lastly, string the beads one after the other. While stringing the beads, you can add different shaped and colored beads as spacers between two similar beads. After completing the stringing, pull the string taut.
Making Pendants and Necklaces
Condition the clay as per the shape you desire for the pendant. It can be a circle, rectangle, triangle, or a teardrop in different colors. Cane-working can be a good option for the pendant. Cane is a cylinder of clay that has different clay designs at the cross-section. The designs on the cross sections can be faces, quilt patterns, flowers, and landscapes.
Steps to make a floral cane
- Take a log of clay that is about 7 inches long and has a diameter of around half an inch.
- Flatten a piece of light-colored clay sheet so that it can wrap the log. Cut the unwanted sheet of the light-colored clay.
- Now, wrap the log with the polymer clay sheet, but this time with a dark-colored clay.
- Repeat this process at least three to four times.
- Now, cut the wrapped log into seven pieces. Form a flower using these seven pieces and compress these pieces lightly to form a new cane or log. Compress the pieces so that the seams between the flower petals disappear.
- The last step is to cut this new cane into slices. The slices have a floral design on their cross-section.
The pendant is baked and stringed on a colored string. The necklace is made by stringing the beads together while keeping the pendant at the center of the string.
It is advised that you don't bake the clay in the oven in which you cook food. Polymer clay is versatile and it is possible to give a wooden or antique or an ivory look to the handcrafted and beaded jewelry. The basic procedure is the same for all the accessories.