Making pillows at home is not an unattainable task. Assembling and stitching a pillow and its cover is easier than you can imagine. Why waste bucks on buying pillows from a store?
You can easily make pillows on your own. You can knit the patterns similar to those available at the upholstery stores.
When accessorized with pretty covers of elegant prints and intricate embroidery, they beautify the decor of the furnishings inside your room. Therefore, while sewing a pillow, make sure that you also stitch a cover for the same.
Throw pillows are the easiest kind to make. First decide the materials with which you want to stuff them. Pillows meant for regular use are filled with cotton, foam or any synthetic variety of cotton that is soft.
Getting a correct sized pillow for yourself is also essential to avoid neck and back problems. The quantity of filling material and the size of the cover will contribute to the weight of the pillow.
1. First arrange for the following materials:
2. Cut the cotton fabric into two equal sized pieces. You are free to choose any size for making different patterns, but make sure they are uniform. Squarish, rectangular and round are some common pillow shapes. While making a round shaped one, you need to cut two pieces of fabric in the shape of a circle.
3. Now stitch the pieces in such a way that it forms a bag-like structure. Join the pieces by sewing the fabric in a face to face manner. Make sure you keep the wrong side outward for stitching. This way you can expose the right side later when you turn it inside out.
You should also keep at least half an inch seam space from the corners. Sew the three sides, keeping one side open to form the mouth for the stuffing.
4. Now fill the stuffing material inside it. Load the foam or cotton uniformly inside so that it gets a proper shape and size. Do not stuff more than its capacity. This might cause it to burst open. Stitch the end after it has been stuffed. Make sure the stuffing doesn't come out from any of the sides.
5. You would definitely require a pillow cover to keep the pillow protected. Sew the pillow cover in the same way as that of the pillow bag filled with foam, after taking accurate measurements.
If you know the different types of sewing techniques, then personalize the pillow according to your choice. Use colorful fabrics to make a throw pillow. Satin fabrics, crochet designs, embroideries, and embellishments look exquisite.
6. Place the pillow inside the cover. You can also stitch in buttons at the mouth of the cover to allow the pillow to stay inside the cover.
You can also try improving the basic techniques to make other forms of pillows and use it as cushions for your furniture. While making a dream pillow, you can spray soothing fragrance on the stuffing material and feel the aroma while sleeping.
To make ultra light weight pillows, use micro beads as stuffing material instead of cotton or foam. Customize them and enjoy the luxury of sleeping.