We all love to give and receive gifts. But think how much joy you will get by gifting your friend something that you have made all by yourself. A handmade gift is always special and it shows that you have taken the effort to make something one of a kind. If your friend loves jewelry, then you can make a friendship bracelet for him/her.
Making Bracelets Out of String
Before we learn how to make friendship bracelets out of string, we need to know what are the materials that you will need. Since a bracelet made out of string is pretty simple, you just need to purchase some embroidery thread in contrasting colors and a pair of sharp scissors. Once you have gathered your supplies, it's time to get started.
- The first step in making a string bracelet is to cut out 2 thread each of about 24 inches in three colors of your choice. (say purple, green and black).
- Now line up all the threads in a straight line vertically so that they are in matching pairs.
- Hold all the strands together with your fingers and tie a knot on one end, creating a strong loop.
- Now separate the strands into the three colors, black, purple and green.
- Pin down the knotted section of the strings on to the edge of the table so that when you pull the string towards you, there is some amount of tension on the string.
- Braid the strings by starting with the strings on the right hand side. Place the right hand side strings over the middle one and the left hand side strands over the new middle strands.
- Continue braiding in this way until you come to the end. When you reach the end, simply make a secure knot and let the ends hang loose like a fringe.
This is an easy friendship bracelet pattern and is just right for beginners who had not made a handmade bracelet before.
Making Bracelets Out of Plastic String
Bracelets made out of plastic string are more durable than normal string bracelets. However, make sure that you make the bracelet of adequate length, so that it does not chafe your skin. For making plastic string bracelet, you will need long plastic strings, plastic beads and scissors.
- To make this bracelet, first measure the size of your wrist and cut the plastic string according to this measure, adding a few extra inches for closure.
- Tie a knot at one end of the plastic string and insert one colorful plastic bead through it. The knot should be big enough so that the bead does not fall out.
- If the knot is not big enough and the bead is sliding through the knot, then just make another knot over the first knot.
- Now insert plastic beads one by one into the plastic string in a pleasing pattern and color.
- Once all the beads have been strung on the plastic string, tie the end with another knot to secure it.
- Finally, make a small loop out of the plastic string so that you can tie this beautiful bracelet on your wrist.
If you want to know how to make bracelets out of string with different designs, then there are some great bracelet making ideas and design options like heart designs and woven bracelet designs. You can even try making bracelets out of guitar strings. All these designs are easy to make and all you need is a bit of practice to make it work.