The greatest advantage is the money one saves by making soap at home. Not many ingredients are needed to make it and the process of making it is also easy. Depending on the quantity of soap you plan on making, keep a few squeeze bottles ready for storing the liquid. Following are some quick and easy methods that can be used for making dish soap at home.
Recipe # 1
This recipe requires the use of liquid Castile soap and a few simple ingredients. The Castile soap acts as a suitable base for the dish soap.
- Liquid Castile soap - 2 cups
- Essential oil of your choice - few drops
- Water - ½ cup
- Warm the ½ cup of water and combine it with liquid Castile soap.
- Add a few drops of essential oil of your choice to get a pleasant scent.
- Shake the soap well, so that all the ingredients are mixed well together.
- Store the soap in a squeeze bottle.
- Shake the bottle before using the soap.
Recipe # 2
Soap flakes make a great base for homemade dish soap. These flakes are gentle and great for cleaning purposes. Lemon juice, vinegar or both can also be added to the soap solution to enhance its grease cutting properties.
- Mix soap flakes and water in a large pan.
- Warm the mixture in low heat and stir frequently, till the soap gets completely dissolved.
- Add glycerin to the soap and mix well.
- Remove the pan from the stove.
- Let the soap cool a little, before you add lemon juice and vinegar.
- Add the essential oil drops and mix well.
- Pour the liquid soap into squeeze bottles and remember to shake well before use.
Recipe # 3
The leftover bits of a bar soap can be used for making liquid dish washing soap. The first step you will have to undertake is to chop the soap bar into small pieces. The other alternative is to grate the soap into thin strips.
- Place the soap shavings in a small bucket or mug.
- Mix 3 cups of water with the soap shavings and let it sit for several hours or overnight.
- In the morning, mash the soap shavings into pulp.
- Add another ½ cup to 1 cup of hot water to dilute the consistency and get the desired consistency.
- Now add lemon juice to the soap and stir well.
- Pour the soap into a squeeze bottle and do not forget to shake well before use.
When you are making homemade dish soap, it is recommended that you add citrus essential oils, such as lime, orange, or lemon. You can add some eucalyptus and peppermint oils as well, as these help fight germs.